Wednesday, September 14, 2011

This time, in English!

I chose to study Japanese because I am studying Japanese Religions, and would be quite inefficient as a scholar in another culture's religions without knowing their language. I am excited about gaining a mastery of the Japanese language because it will allow me to be able to read primary religious sources such as the "Nihongi", "Kojiki", and "Engishiki" in its original format. This will grant me a much more in depth and subtle understanding of the religions which I seek to understand.
So far, there have been no frustrations in my Japanese education. The only minor setbacks have been learning to keep up with Eguchi Sensei's fast pace, which is a blessing as much as it is a curse, as it keeps me engaged and focused.

3 comments:

  1. I studied some excerpts of the texts you mentioned above in a Japanese culture class last year and can definitely see how knowing Japanese would vastly improve my understanding of them, it becomes clear at a certain point how much is getting lost in translation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burgess San, こんばんわ。ごしゅっしんはどちらですか。わたしはちゅうごくのBeijingからきました。じゃあまたあした。

    ReplyDelete
  3. にほんごのクラスはむずかしいです!

    ReplyDelete