Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Learning language through media....

Recently I have been choosing to watch movies and television shows that are in Japanese, with subtitles to help me along. I'm amazed at how coherent the conversations sound compared to the sounds I heard before I began studying. What's more, I think that immersing myself in the language for an hour or so each day has allowed me to internalize the more subtle aspects of language, such as pace, tone, and pronunciation.
One film that I would recommend if one wanted to try something similar would be "Ugetsu". It is based on an old folk tale where a man is taken in by Inari (demon-like creatures), and tricked to live in a mansion that is no more than a patch of bushes. The movie is suspenseful, and rich with fascinating Japanese culture.

Enjoy!
サよなら!

9 comments:

  1. Burgessさん〜maybe you should write more in Japanese!  じゃあまたあした。

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! I love watching japanese movies and tv shows too, but sometimes the tv shows use a lot of slang that makes them harder to understand. がんばって!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! You know I like to listen to Japanese music, contemporary pop music from Japan I guess you could say and I'll be humming along and then all of a sudden I'll hear the word ひと or かぞく or something simple like わたし, but up until now none of it had meaning to me so I think it's great how you brought light of the subtleties that we are now coming to learning about. ありがとうございます for the movie recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to enjoy studying! There's a Japanese drama I've wanted to try watching for a while now... but I don't have time T.T Although sometimes when doing my Japanese homework I listen to Jpop^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. はじめまして。 メリルです。 ノートルダム だいがくの にほんごの がくせいです。わたしも にほんごの えいがを みます!I also believe it's a good way to get a feel for what the language actually sounds like. Sometimes it makes me realize how far I still am from being even close to fluent, but most of the time I just get excited when I recognize words, phrases, and particles! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been watching Japanese movies as well. I've been meaning to watch 東京物語 by 小津 安二郎 because all the movies I've seen before talk place in the えど period and I want to expand to contemporary Japan. ありがと for the recommendation though, I'll be sure to check out Uegetsu.

    ReplyDelete
  7. わたしも にほんおえいがを みます。 And I get really excited whenever I recognize a word before I remember there's still a long way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. はじめまして、サガルディアですどうぞよろしく。ぼくは ノトルダムだいがくのがくせんです。You know what I highly recommend? Anime. Anime,Anime,Anime. Check out my Blog for little updates that might seem useful to you. Trust me, it's the best way to get hooked on Japanese Culture and the language: otakuguide.bogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Burgess さんは、みてくださいわたしのブログに。I replied to your post, but the message was sent to me so you should check it out because my comment to you is written on my wall. Burgessさんはあなたおんがくをききます that I suggested. I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete